Wednesday 9 September 2015

Gym Gear - Nike & Asics

My second year at university was roughly spent doing four things; laying in bed, going to lectures, eating and watching Netflix. It was not spent working my bum off in the gym. 

Third year has rolled (literally) around and I've decided that enough is enough. The little pouch I have gained has got to go, he's no longer welcome. 

To get things started with a bang my mum and I popped into Nike and decided to upgrade my old gym gear with some welcome new additions that would motivate me to get fit. I've now had these items for a couple months and can now tell you how I feel they work in the gym and if they're worth investing in.

Let's talk about trainers...


My golden oldies. These are a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 17s. They no longer sell these exact shoes but they do have an updated version that you can have a peak at here. I've had these running shoes for nearly 5 years. 5 years is a long time for a pair of running shoes. The vast reason why they've lasted this long is that they weren't used a whole lot for the first 4 years (guilty). 

The only way to describe them is to imagine running on clouds. Soft, fluffy but firm in the right places. They allow your foot to push down as you run and spring back up as you move. They provide a snug fit that holds your foot ensuring you don't turn over your ankle and go flying. If you're an outdoor runner I highly recommend them, especially if you're worried about your joints!


 The Nike Free Cross Bionic 2 Training shoes are ah-mazing. My parents love the idea of bare-foot training which persuaded me to try out this pair of trainers and holy-hell do I love them. They feel like you're exercising barefoot. That sounds slightly worrying if you're running over gravel but I've used these inside a gym as well as out and about and yes, I'll admit you can feel more of the ground it isn't painful at all. 

The visible cables help to fit the shoe to the shape of your foot like no other trainer I've ever had before. The trainers come with a sock-like interior which fits snuggly and ensures no rubbing occurs during your workout. The fact they're thin and not 'clumpy' feeling is helpful when working out on machines in the gym. You can feel the pedal as you're cycling on the bike, you can feel the treadmill conveyor beneath your feet and you can feel the yoga matt beneath you. 

If you're a gym bunny or someone getting into gym life that isn't vastly interested in running outside I highly, highly recommend these trainers!

Now onto the clothes...

Invest in exercise gear. Yes, leggings and old t-shirts work if you can't afford to buy the real things but exercise gear doesn't have to be branded. If you live in the UK Tesco/Asda do great exercise clothes for a fraction of the price of Nike.


Nike Pro Training Capris, Nike Free Cross Bionic 2 Training shoes, unbranded sports bra, simple black vest top.


A simple pink vesty top and a pair of Nike Training Tights.


Getting fit isn't always about losing weight, it can be about running a half marathon, being able to walk up a flight of stairs without becoming out of breath. Whatever your reason is for getting fit, stick with it and keep going!